Brooklyn Truck Accident FAQs
Trucking accident claims can be confusing. We can provide guidance from start to finish.
What to do after a truck accident?
If you have been involved in a truck accident, there are certain things you need to do that will be vital to your health and to any claim you will file.
- Move to safety, if medically possible, out of the way traffic, wreckage and debris.
- Contact the police or local authorities and give a factual statement of the accident so they can file an accident report.
- Get immediate medical attention so your injuries can be attended to and documented.
- Get the contact information of every driver involved in the accident as well as insurance and driver’s license information. From the truck driver also get information on the cab, trailer, and cargo (if they contributed to the cause of the accident you may benefit if they have additional insurance on each).
- Document the accident scene by taking pictures to include: damage to all vehicles, guardrails and other fixed objects, skid marks, the state of the tire tread, and the condition of the truck itself.
- Contact an accident attorney who specializes in truck accidents and will make sure you receive a settlement offer that reflects the true cost of your injuries and loss.
- After you’ve given your official statement, do not talk to trucking company representatives or insurance companies. Let your lawyer do the talking.
What is my truck accident worth?
No two truck accidents are alike so it is hard even to give a monetary range for what your over-the-road truck accident may be worth. There are several factors that contribute to the value of your truck accident claim such as:
- Severity of injuries
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Total cost of medical bills
- Loss of companionship
When attempting to get a fair settlement for your claim your truck accident attorney will focus on three factors:
- Medical expenses (past and future)
- Lost wages or loss of earning capacity (past and future)
- Pain, suffering, disfigurement and disability (past and future)
While there is not a true mathematical formula that will give you an estimate of what your truck accident is worth, you can expect better results with an experienced attorney who will effectively build your case based on these factors.
Why hire a truck accident attorney?
If you have been in a truck accident that resulted in injury or monetary loss lawyer who specializes in truck accidents can help you go up against the negligent party, their insurance companies and their lawyers. Your accident attorney knows the laws and procedures to handle your legal issues and acts as your advocate throughout the case. If you have suffered severe injuries, faced expensive medical bills, or have experienced loss of wages due to an accident, it is time to hire an accident attorney.
How to hire a truck accident lawyer?
When choosing a truck accident attorney look for a lawyer who is experienced in handling truck accident cases. Search online by an attorney’s name and firm to see what others are saying and if there have been complaints. Once you hire an accident attorney, evaluate your comfort level in communicating with the attorney and take into consideration how they treat your case. If you feel your lawyer is not available to you or doesn’t return your calls in a timely manner, and you feel uneasy about their ability to add your case to their caseload it may be time to hire a new attorney.
Schedule A No-Obligation, Risk-Free Consult!
For nearly 30 years since the opening of our practice, we have been the trusted source that thousands of clients have turned to when they needed to hold negligent parties accountable for damages. If you have been the victim of a trucking accident, our accomplished Brooklyn truck accident lawyer can provide unwavering and powerful representation. Call 347-318-4935 to learn more.